October 27th, 2019
" A Reckless Counselor "
October 27, 2019
Pastor Bob Bjerkaas
- The Logical Advice of Eliphaz
- Since godly people are always healthy and wealthy… 4:7-17
- Your suffering means that you have sinned… 4:18-5:7
- Therefore, repent of your sins5:8,17-19
- And you will be healthy and wealthy again 5:19-25
- Where did Eliphaz Fail?
- He does not know that sometimes bad things happen without a person’s sin being the cause: John 9:1-3
- He does not know that sometimes God causes good people to suffer in order to strengthen them – not to punish them: John 15:2
- Eliphaz fails because he knows some things but presumes to see the whole picture!
- Be Careful in Counseling Others! You can utterly fail despite:
- Humble compliments 4:1-6
- Careful observations 4:7-11
- Spiritual experiences 4:12-17
- Theological sophistication 4:18-21
- Doctrinal orthodoxy 5:1-7
- Personal piety 5:8-16
- Good intentions 5:17-27
- Do not suppose that anyone’s health or wealth is an indicator of the nature of their relationship with God
- Never presume to speak as an expert about someone else’s circumstances and walk with God in this world.
- In all of life, both good times and bad, seek God!