" Almost Right! "
January 19, 2020
Pastor Bob Bjerkaas
1. Almost right about Job Job 11:2-6
a. The dangers of deductive judgments!
Inductive and Deductive reasoning both
strive to construct a valid argument.
Inductive reasoning moves from specific
instances into a generalized conclusion.
Deductive reasoning moves from
generalized principles that are known to be
true to a specific conclusion.
b. Generalized principles:
i. Suffering is always a punishment for a particular sin.
ii. Much talk = unavoidable sin Job 11:2b; Proverbs 10:19 and 17:27 c. Necessary conclusions:
i. Job is suffering, therefore he sinned
ii. Job is talking a lot, therefore he sinned
iii. Job has even sinned more than his suffering suggests!
d. Doing violence to the data!
i. Job never said “My doctrine is pure”
ii. Job never said “I am clean”
e. Mocking Job Job 11:12
2. Almost rights about God Job 11:7-12
a. God does “exact less than our sins deserve” Ezra 9:13
b. God is indeed incomprehensible!
c. God is indeed sovereign in justice!
d. BUT Zophar does not know that God uses suffering in the lives of his people for more than mere punishment! Job 1-2
3.Almost right about Job’s remedy Job 11:13-20
a. True repentance is always a good thing.
b. But the blessedness of your life with God will always be an already/not yet experience until heaven. Application
1. Are there any people in your life that you must set free from your deductive judgments?
2. Zophar was limited by thinking exclusively in terms of this life. Are you living your life and thinking about your good and bad times in light of eternity?
3. Do you have hope in your suffering?
4. Are you almost right?